Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Road- Reflective

Father.

Instantly upon seeing that word, several images and other words came to your mind. You picture your own father, or someone who is like a father to you. Fathers have certain character traits: strong, leading, reassuring, safe, protective, comforting, loving, able. I envision my own dad. When something goes wrong he's the first person I want. His strong arms make me feel safe. Knowing he's there I feel protected. One word from him and I feel loved. When I can't do something, I know that my dad can.

In our story The Road, we have a story of a father and son on this journey to the south. They are trudging through snow and woods, dragging along what little belongings they can hold onto. So far through the story, the son looks to his father for reassurance all the time. He's always asking him questions just to make sure of what is going on, and if something happened his dad will tell him and be there. The son never wants to be separated from his safety; his father. The journey they're taking is already one that makes you feel unsafe and insecure. Literally fighting to stay alive and all you have is each other. The two of them are up against so many dangers. They come across situations and have to make decisions that if it wasn't the end of the world, it would be morally incorrect. His son recognizes what is right and what is wrong, and he needs the reassurance from his father that they are still good people and they are just staying alive.

The traits that fathers have are naturally survival instincts. In this story, there is an incredible demonstration of a selfless father/son relationship. Giving up your own comforts for the sake of another, carrying your child when they can't continue, holding them when they're afraid, and pushing them beyond their limits. Even though this story is dark and gruesome at times, it still paints a beautiful picture of what a loving family relationship should be. It makes me appreciate my own father and how willing he is to go for the sake of my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment